Back in June 2009 myself, Rookie and Appo stood outside of this building hoping that sometime or another we would be able to peer out of the small circular window at the top to the people down below on Oxford road.
9 Months later and we cracked it. It wasn’t as simple as we thought but once up we have forgotten about anything else on our minds.
The first phase of this Grade II* listed red brick building was designed for the Refuge Assurance Company by Alfred Waterhouse and built 1891–1895. It was extended, with a 217 foot tower in 1910–1912. It was further extended along Whitworth Street by Stanley Birkett in 1932. The Refuge Assurance Company occupied the building until 1987. It was converted to a hotel by Richard Newman in 1996, and is now the Palace Hotel, owned and operated by the Principal Hayley Group.
All about huge clocks and spiral stairs!